Important poisons advice from your vet clinic, GeelongJune 10, 2015
It is extremely distressing to witness your dog suffering from poisoning. It could be that your dog has eaten something he or she shouldn’t have and has ingested a poison, or has come into contact with a toxic substance that may take longer to build-up within the animal’s body before symptoms surface.
Some of the symptoms of poisoning include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of appetite
- Inability to balance
- High temperature
- Vomiting or drooling.
As a pet owner, it is important to know that there are foods and items in and around our homes that are extremely toxic to your dog. These include:
- Sultanas and raisins
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Snail and slug pellets
- All fertilisers
- Garden plants including lilies, azaleas and oleander
- Composts and mulches including those containing blood and bone.
This is not an exhaustive list and if you have any concerns about your dog’s well-being and you suspect your dog may have ingested or come into contact with a poisonous substance, don’t wait to get advice. Contact the vet clinic Geelong pet-owners rely on for at-home care and treatment. Depending on the poison involved and the symptoms your dog is presenting, Dr Trevor Brown will offer advice and visit your pet as soon as possible in an emergency situation.
Try to have as much information on hand when you contact Mobile Vet Geelong. What are the symptoms your dog has? Where was your dog just prior to showing symptoms? Do you know what your dog may have ingested or come into contact with? Time is often crucial when dealing with a case of suspected poisoning, so try to gather as much information possible and call your vet as soon as you can. The sooner the poison is identified and your pet is offered treatment, the better the outlook for your pet. Dr Brown provides the services of a vet clinic Geelong pet-owners can rely on for fast and caring advice and treatment.